This blog is largely devoted to one beagle’s path through the world of thought. These posts trace the path so far.
My Conversion Story
Although I am no longer a Christian, no story is complete without its beginning. My story began with a conversion to Christ.
My Journey Out of Evangelical Christianity
The Christian faith was the center of my life for 40 years. After a long struggle with show-stopper questions, I gave it up. Here’s my story.
- Part 1: The Wake-Up Call
- Part 2: Worthy Prayers
- Part 3: Prayer Studies
- Part 4: Romans 8:9
- Part 5: Highlighting Your Comments So Far
- Part 6: The God of the Bible
- How It Felt to Lose My Faith
And this is where I’ve landed.
The most important reason I left the faith was the moral bankruptcy of the Bible. This series on biblical slavery treats just one example among many. It will also give you a sense of the lame and/or dishonest answers I got when I asked evangelicals tough questions.
- Invitation to a Dialog on Biblical Slavery
- Was Biblical Slavery All That Bad?
- Did God Command Slavery, or Merely Tolerate It?
- Were Some Biblical Slaves Merely Prisoners of War?
- Does the Bible Regulate the Care of Slaves?
- Was Slavery God’s Righteous Judgment?
- Did God Intend to End Slavery by Changing People’s Hearts?
- What did Jesus Say About Slavery?
- Biblical Slavery: Are God’s Ways Higher than Our Ways?
- Why I Care About Biblical Slavery
- Biblical Slavery Postscript: Where Were the Apologists?
How Can We Decide What’s True?
Having lost faith in faith, I turned to what is known as freethought: seeking the truth based on science, logic and reason. Here’s why.
- The Feeling of Knowing
- Software Patches for the Brain
- Sound Method
- Hierarchy of Methods
- Myth, Meth, Math
WHAT MAKES LIFE WORTHWHILE
As an evangelical, I could not imagine why atheists would bother getting out of bed in the morning. Imagine my surprise when, after shedding my faith, I had more joy than ever.
- On Losing 99.999999% of My Future
- How It Felt to Lose My Faith
- 31 Days of Wonder
- Choosing a Purpose
- Stick Your Head Out of the Window!
Since leaving faith behind, I have been told that I have no reason to care about anything. On the contrary…
- Why Care? (Introduction)
- Why Care About Anything at All?
- Why Care About Right and Wrong?
- Why Do Atheists Care About Other People?
- Why Do Atheists Care About Religion?
Like many evangelicals, I was a conservative Republican. Now that I try my best to stay away from dogma of both left and right, I call myself a moderate.
Although both extremes have their cohort of liars and cynical manipulators, I am confronted with lies from the right more often. There’s an inherent reason for that, as I explain in these three posts.
It seems that the politico-cultural wars are often fought over issues of sexuality.
- The Wedding Ring
- Marriage Is Not the Government’s Business
- Sex-Selective Abortions
- Contraception and Religious Freedom
- The Changing Evangelical Position on Abortion
I have become a big fan of reality as revealed by science. Here are some topics I find particularly fun and enlightening.
I did a whole series on Richard Dawkins’ book, The Selfish Gene. The best parts were at the end.
I devoted all of August, 2012 to the wonders I saw all around me. Many of them had a scientific bent, including these.